We’ve all got electricity bills right? Well there are three frustrations of mine when it comes to my energy bill:
1. I can barely understand it.
2. I have to remember to pay it.
3. I know it goes directly towards feeding my utility’s addiction to fossil fuels.
(I just looked it up, wind and solar is less than 6% – the rest, not great.)
This is why I was happy to discover Arcadia Power.
Arcadia Power is an online energy company that gives anyone who pays a utility bill the option to choose clean energy from wind farms across the US. And it takes just a minute to sign on your home or apartment.
You keep your same local utility company and Arcadia ensures your electricity usage is replenished with clean, renewable energy on your behalf – dramatically reducing your impact.
The best part: it is all at no extra cost. Zip. Nada.
Here’s how it works
1. Sign up online and connect your current local utility account. This took me about 1 minute.
2. For every kWh of energy you use with your local utility, they will replenish it by purchasing renewable energy from wind farms on your behalf.
3. You get one clean, simple to understand statement from Arcadia Power that your utility bill will be paid on time, ways you can save next month, and the positive environmental impact you had that month.
You don’t have to cancel your current utility account and still have access to it, there are no commitments – it is all a free month-to-month service that you can start or stop anytime, and once again no extra cost.
Better for the planet, better for you, and free.
Additionally, you can compare your energy usage to others on your personalized dashboard, take advantage of insights and energy-savings programs to help you lower your bills, and get rewarded with member discounts to awesome companies that they have partnered with.
They also have energy concierge reps who will actually answer your calls, so you don’t have to deal with waiting on hold for 2 hours with your utility company if you have a simple question about your bill. Never again.
About Arcadia Power
Arcadia is a Benefit Corporation, or B Corp, which means they are certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. They’re also endorsed by huge environmental organizations like the Sierra Club. Thousands of people have joined them from all 50 states.
It was about time the utility industry got an update.
Update: They are offering 4 free energy-saving LED light bulbs to anyone who signs up by January 31st, 2017. You can sign up here.
Written by Andrew Lofland. Andrew loves finding innovative products that make life better for ourselves and the people around us.